Supply chain management and new business opportunities In manufacturing, there is a great importance of supply chain. The supply chain of any company involves different parameters including logistics, channel management, production planning, material planning, and output planning. Supply chain of any company involves direct involvement of various internal and external stake holders. Supply chain earlier was considered to be a part of either operation management or of marketing management. We need to consider various parameters involved in supply chain management. SCM, as a whole, is an essential component of value chain. Automobile majors such as Ford motors, GM, Chevrolet are some of the great examples related to supply chain management. These companies are considered to be perfect examples in automobile supply chain space. Supply chain companies involve great logistics abilities, along with purchasing, production planning, and material management. Backbone of any supply chain: Warehousing Warehousing is considered to be the backbone of any supply chain. It involves proper stock management, SKU management, stock clearance, logistics management, and transportation management. Warehousing has taken care of essential features related to logistics management. Warehouse management has involved many third party players, entrepreneurs, and investors in this business. We will discuss more on the opportunities for new businessmen in warehousing sector. Great businesses have succeeded in this world by improving their supply chains. As a business men you can act as a third party warehousing support for big or small companies. The opportunity which we are discussing is similar or same as of “carrying and forwarding agents”. These carrying and forwarding agents use diverse warehousing techniques which involve good revenue commission of around 0.5 to 2 % on the goods kept in your warehousing. The cost involved is of loading and boarding, electricity and water, labor, rent, wastage etc. The study conducted by many research teams has shown that the cost is mitigated by the involvement of new techniques and also with the involvement of smart business acumen. Many think that anything related to logistics and supply chain involves only men not women. But I think it carries equal business opportunities for woman as it is for men.
Aquaponics is a combination process of hydroponics and aquaculture. Hydroponics is raising fish and aquaculture is growing plants without adding soil. The aquaponics process is very simple and practical. The waste of the fish is pumped into the growing bed of plants. The plants eventually use the fish waste that is a nitrifying bacterium as its food supply. Moreover, the fish waste holds valuable nutrients that are essential for the growth of plants. The water from the plant bed gets purified and returns back to the fish tank. The plants filter the water and give out clean fresh water and environment to the fish. So, in this process there are equal benefits present for both the fish and plants.
How an aquaponic system works?
The idea of aquaponics or producing nutrients using fish is actually not very new. Thailand and China started to use this process several thousand years ago in their rice grounds. It was recognized and established worldwide by Dr. James Rakocy. He is called as the father of Aquaponics.
How aquaponics takes place & works
- Firstly, the fish is fed with right amounts of feed. It excretes out waste – ammonia rich waste.
- It is important to note that excess of ammonia has high chances of killing the fish. The bacteria present in fish and plants water breaks down the ammonia as nitrates – better nutrient for plants.
- The nitrates serve as a very good fertilizer and feed the plants.
- Consequently, the plant root cleans the water for fish by consuming all the nitrates present in the circulating water.
- The fish sends nutrient water for plants and in turn receives fresh water. Moreover, oxygen is sent through the air-pump and plays a great role for the survival of fish and plants.
You might wonder why the fish tank remains covered. It is because of the broken down nitrites that will die when exposed to sunlight. If you find high nitrite level, just remove the tank cover and expose to sunlight. The sunlight will kill off and convert nitrites into nitrates and serves as best nutrient food for plants.
Benefits of Aquaponics
- Agriculture is one of the biggest industries than any other. Most of the large-scale farmers spend and dedicate their whole lot of time to experiment various measures in order to reap high yields and also keep their plants healthy. But it is uncertain that not all times the health of the plant is maintained equal to the cost of the food produced. The shocking fact behind is plant growers take care of their crops by following special techniques that have high risks & make the consumers sick. Pesticides are sprayed to protect your food grains from insects but they have chances to cause harmful effects on a human body. Aquaponics is the best alternative that a farmer can produce pesticide free fresh vegetables and fish.
- The process is highly adaptable, which means every family can produce their own food materials.
- It is resourceful than standard gardening practices. Fresh vegetables and food grains are produced from the fish manure, which in tun the plants clean the water and allow the fish to reuse. Aquaponics is a perfect closed round ecosystem that the whole system functions perfectly well without man-made fertilizers or pesticides. Additionally, it helps to save more than 90 % of water.
- The system is maintained in indoors, there are very small chances for pests.
- The plants grow very fast in Aquaponics culture because of the direct nutrient prepared water coming from fish.
- For a regular farmer, Aquaponics would render two types of income, veggies and fish.
- Aquaponics does not require rich farm lands like land with soil or land with fertile farm soil but requires any type of land that may be rocky, gravel or even sand surfaces that are not fit for conventional farmland.
- Weather is very important in farming. In aquaponics, you can grow veggies or crops in any weather conditions, any time of the year, & any place on the planet.
- You can eat 100 % pesticide free and chemical free food when using aquaponics culture.
- Daily maintenance is very easy when compared to traditional farming systems. You need to check on amounts of the fish feed and ensure the pumps are running properly. There is no need to use pesticides in aquaponics system as they would kill the fish.
- The biggest benefit of home aquaponics is, you can enjoy your own farm produced fresh vegetables. It is proved that vegetables mature faster in aquaponics and holds more flavour. Moreover, store produce will not be fresh all times while home produce is fresh and will be picked at right green state. It yields more flavour and nutritional value to the food you cook.
- Healthy homemade or home farmed fish holds high nutritional value and taste. Commercial fish is kept stocked and is farmed with steroids and growth hormones.
- Aquaponics system serves as a best defense factor against various medical conditions and illnesses.
Aquaponics is the best economic choice!!
Apart from health factors, aquaponics system is inexpensive. It may sound a bit expensive at the start but in a few days you can yield what you have invested. Most of the home aquaponic users have started to cut their grocery expenses because of this system. You can stay completely food independent and can save thousands of dollars in the long term.
In recent years agriculture and industrial farming has started to descend slowly. Guess! Aquaponics will remain as an only attractive option to remain food independent. Apart from this, if you are willing to choose a sick free, healthy life, this is the best solution. If you consider factors like how your daily food is grown and what causes illness or sickness, you will forcefully adapt yourself to an aquaponic system. You can watch positive health effects in just few weeks, which your diet will contain all fresh fruits, vegetables and fish holding adequate nutrients.
Want to try this? Look for a practical institution and get trained and you can be up and running in a few days. You can do the same for mushrooms, or other health foods for your family or as a business.
Feedback welcome to melmudiwa@
To your success!